- Title searches/exams
- Curative action
- Writing and issuance of title insurance policies for both lenders and owners
- Settlement and closing services
What is Title Insurance?
Title insurance protects homebuyers and lenders against losses caused by problems related to their property titles. There are hundreds of possible title defects, including:
- Liens, mortgages, and judgments
- Misrecorded property information
- Documents executed under false powers of attorney
- Another person claiming an ownership interest
Title defects can jeopardize ownership of a property and threaten financial investments, and title insurance protects against claims made on these defects. Buyers, sellers, and lenders all benefit from having title insurance.
How Can Laurel Abstract Help?
Our experienced agents will work closely with you to identify potential title defects and create a policy that protects you and your investment.
Our process begins with the title search. We perform a meticulous examination of public records to determine that the seller has the right to sell the property, and that the buyer will receive all the rights that they pay for. We determine tax status, verify that recorded information is correct, and look for unsatisfied judgments. We may take curative action to try and remedy any problems that turn up.
Once the title search and curative action is complete, we write and issue the title insurance. We issue policies for both owners and lenders.
- An owner’s policy covers the purchase price and protects the owner from enumerated title risks for as long as they own the property.
- A loan policy covers the loan amount, protecting lenders and loan purchasers. It ensures that the lender has a valid lien that takes priority over other liens.
Once the policy is issued, our settlement and closing services guide you through the complicated closing process. We review and finalize documents, coordinate inspections, and submit information to public records.
Our Clients are Important
Laurel Abstract has decades of experience addressing the complex issues that can arise during title transfers. We work with a wide variety of clients, including individuals, small and large businesses, municipalities, and organizations. We appreciate the opportunity to protect your valuable investments and remove threats to your property ownership.